Wednesday 3 October 2007

Game night, a review

Last Saturday was our monthly game night and it was attended by 9 different players, who played 10 different games.

The first game of the night was one I had purchased earlier in the day, so I quickly read it and taught it to a group of five. Everyone seemd to enjoy Formula Motor Racing, a quick auto racing game by Reiner Knizia. Tim Andretti won over his four competitors.
The other table hosted a game called The Really Nasty Horseracing Game, and I am sure Brendan would agree, as his horses finished twice in 6 steeplechase events. The idea behind the game is to make the most money while crippling your opponent's chances of winning. Brenda "The Fixer" won this by easily outdistancing the rest of us.
The main table hosted For Sale which was won by Real Eastate Magnate, Robert. They then switched to a four player game of Munchkin Cthulhu, and by continuously shrieking:
"That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die"

during the other player's turns, Brett "I wish I was in R'lyeh" won.
At the quieter, less cultist table we played a game of Fiji, a game where you use cheap beads to impress the natives into giving you head... Shrunken heads from other less successful visitors. Brenda "I used to be a fixer, now I just lop off their heads" won her second game of the night.
The Cultists were still chanting "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", so we started a game of Ticket to Ride: Europe, which Tracey had never played. She learned the hard way that Brenda "Train to zone!" was a master of it as she beat the second place finsher by over twenty points.
One of the problems that plagued us all night was that we could not cross people from table to table due to our disparate finish times, so our table opted to play Ingenous while we waited. Unfortunately I could not find it immediately so while I was searching Brendan and Tracy played a quick game of Le Passe-Trappe which Brendan won in about 3 minutes. It took me five to find my copy of Ingenious, and Brendan, following in the tradition of Brenda, schooled us in, it.
When we finished we noticed the chanting had stopped and they we playing a game of Mu und Mehr, won by Lenora "I don't mark the cards, now play that Ace you have!" over her three opponents. Now that Brenda and Brendan had gotten tired of beating on us, Traci and I played a game of Loco!, which I taught and subsequently beat her at.

Next game night is October 27th, close enough to Hallowe'en that we have a themed game night, horror games! So bring out your horror games (the word is HORROR, not WHORE!) and I hope to see you there.

Thanks to Tim as well, whose Sentry Box coupons were used to purchase the Cthluhu expansion Munchkin Cthulhu: Call of the Cowthulhu and Formula Motor Racing.

No comments: